Before your trip

alt de imagen


A language course abroad is both memorable and enormously useful, but some preparations need to be made before you set off on your adventure. Below are a few of the documents that you need to take with you so you don´t have any problems during your stay.

The student needs an up to date passport or National Identity card. One of these documents needs to be presented in the airport when leaving and arriving.

It is very important that you look after your passport and do not pack it in any luggage that is being checked in. Without your passport you will not be able to get on your flight.

All students who wish to travel to the USA need authorisation which has been approved by the National Security Department before travelling.This can be applied for at any time before travelling by visiting this page:

For long term language courses some countries require a Visa. More information about applying for a visa can be found on the following pages:

English Summer S.A. students will receive all the documentation that we can provide which is needed for the journey such the course confirmation certificate, transfer confirmation and in some cases students who are younger than 18 years old will be required to take travel authorisation signed by parents or tutors.

For those students who are staying with a family we recommend that they take a document with them with the details of their host family.

You must also remember to take the insurance card that we include in our documentation.

Exchanging currency and pocket money.

English Summer S.A. recommends taking some money that has already been exchanged before travelling abroad. We recommend that you do this a few days before leaving as at some times in the year, especially summer, it is often difficult to find certain currencies in the banks.

It is also very important that students travel with a certain amount of money to meet their personal expenses such as, drinks, snacks, presents, bus (on occasion), trips that aren´t included in the program, stamps, telephone etc.. We recommend around 100€ per week.

Those students who are staying in accommodation that does not include some meals will need to take axtra money to cover the costs of the meals throughout the stay.

We also recommend that students take a prepaid debit card (which allows top ups in Spain) to avoid being left without cash.


Some medicines available in Spain have a different name in other countries. If special medication is needed it may therefore be better to buy it in Spain.

In order to prevent complications for any of our students we ask you to fill out a specific form detailling any medical issues that may affect the student.


Depending on the period and destination we recommend that you pack sparcly and for function. Try to leave some space for things that you buy during your trip abroad.

Most companies allow up to 20Kg of luggage per person although some Low Cost companies have even lower limits

We also recommend taking a washbag and a change of clothes in your hand luggage just in case the checked in luggage goes missing. We also recommend that you mark the clothes you take with your name to avoid problems or confusion when abroad.

Hand luggage on planes

In accordance with the law there are a number of items that are illegal to carry in your hand luggage:

  • Weapons: arrms or immitation arms, play guns, ball guns…
  • Sharp items: arrows, darts, knives, shaving razors, scissors…
  • Other items: sticks, skates, clubs…
  • Chemical or toxic substances: petrol, flares, matches…

Taking liquids on a plane.

  • They should be carried in seperate recipitents no larger that 100 ml, these must then be carried in a closed plastic bag with a capacity of no more than 1L.
  • These are presented seperately in the security check alongside medication and or special dietary requirements .
  • Liquids bought in the airport after passing through security can be carried on the plane.
  • The following are considered liquids: gels, pastes, lotions and material in pressurised containers.

More information:

Clothing and other objects we recommend carrying with you.

For all of our course abroad we recommend taking clothing that is useful and versitile in order to be prepared for every situation. In our guide book for students who will be studying aboad you will find a list to orientate you on the things that you may need. We also recommend that clothing is marked with the name of the student.

We also advise students to take special net laundry bags (with their names on) where they can keep their dirty washing. This way they will be able to keep their room tidier.

Educational material will be provided by the schools, students will need to take a bag and a pencil case.